Thursday, April 14, 2016

No. 38

Prompt: Stargate: SG-1, Daniel Jackson (+/Any),
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age
The child is grown, and puts away childish things.
Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
http://comment-fic.livejournal.com/711094.html?thread=94007222#t94007222

"And for those reasons, your honor, I recommend that my client be emancipated, as emancipation is in his best interest." Anna glanced at the boy beside her, raised her eyebrows.

He nodded.

Judge Heinlein cleared his throat. "I appreciate your recommendation, counsel. Do you have anything to say for yourself, young man?"

Daniel cleared his throat, lifted his chin. "Your Honor, I've received a full-tuition scholarship to the University of Chicago's archaeology program. I've also received additional stipends for housing and book expenses. Over the past year I've demonstrated my ability to manage my own affairs. I graduated from school with honors, I've maintained my own budget and expenses. I appreciate the assistance I've received from the state, but after my foster parents passed away, my unstable residence in various group homes has been...less than ideal. I'm ready to strike out on my own. My education will go much more smoothly if I can handle things on my own without state intervention."

"All well and good, young man," Judge Heinlein said. "That's basically what your lawyer told me. But what about you? How will you feel, out on your own? Who will you go home to on the holidays?"

"I'll be fine, sir. I'll manage. I always do." Daniel smiled.

Heinlein raised his eyebrows at Anna. She shrugged. There was nothing else to say or do. There was no legal reason to keep Daniel in state's custody and every reason to set him free.

"In that case, I find that it is in Daniel Jackson's best interest to be emancipated and for court jurisdiction over him to be terminated. I release the Division of Child Services and the law guardian with our thanks. It is so ordered."

"Thank you, your honor," Daniel said.

Anna smiled at him. "Go wait out in the hall. I'll bring you a copy of the order."

Daniel nodded, straightened his tie, and left the courtroom. As soon as the doors closed behind him, Heinlein took off his glasses and sighed.

"He's a solemn kid, isn't he?"

"I don't think he's been a kid since the day I met him," Anna said. She shook her head. "Eight years old when his parents died."

"Well, he's a man now, as far as the state is concerned."

"I think he'll be a good man, sir," Anna said. She gathered her files into her briefcase.

"I hope so, counselor."

Anna glanced at the double doors and wondered what Daniel Jackson would do with his lifetime. She was sure it would be something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.