Prompt: Marvel Cinematic Universe, Bucky Barnes + Steve Rogers, their inauspicious first meeting as kids
http://comment-fic.livejournal.com/697573.html?thread=91940069#t91940069
As soon as Ryan O'Leary and his gang cleared off, Bucky turned to the boy who'd jumped into the fray with him. He'd seen the kid at school, Steve something or other. Tiny and blond. Looked maybe five, but had to be at least seven if he was in the same grade as Bucky.
"I could've taken 'em myself," Bucky said. But he offered a hand, tugged Steve to his feet.
Steve was a wreck, blood dripping from his nose and mouth. "Yeah. But Mama says I should help a guy out, so –"
"Next time, don't bother," Bucky said. "Don't wanna have to send you back to your mama in a matchbox, do I?"
Steve hunched his shoulders. "I guess not."
And so they parted ways.
But Bucky heard around school that Steve hadn't done that just for him – he'd do it for anyone he thought was getting picked on. Bucky wasn't anything special after all. More than once, he saw Steve shuffling home, face cut or bruised, and he wondered why Steve kept getting his ass kicked for no good reason. Except he was helping the other kids, or trying. Maybe Bucky wasn't anything special, but Steve sure was. So the next time Ryan O'Leary's gang was out picking on Bucky, he put up his dukes, and when Steve joined in, Bucky made sure to watch his back.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.