Wednesday, March 2, 2016

No. 112

Prompt: any mythology. any siblings. "I'm so telling on you." Celtic triumvirate
http://comment-fic.livejournal.com/699166.html?thread=92236574#t92236574

"I am so telling on you." Brighid curled her feet under her, picking slowly away at her knitting.

Cerridwen, about to reach into the fridge, paused. "What? Why? And to whom?"

"To Morrigan," Brighid said.

"What could you possibly have to tell her?" Cerridwen reached into the fridge for the apple juice and drank out of the carton just to spite her sister.

"I saw you snogging Arawn behind the green oak tree where what's-his-face keeps his heart."

Cerridwen shrugged with deliberate insouciance. "So what? It was Beltane. Lots of people were snogging. Don't think I didn't see you snogging that mortal boy who was dressed as Cernunnos."

"Ah, but I did not give my mortal boy my divine cauldron and let him use it to make Nine Riders and set them loose in the Middling Lands."

Cerridwen choked on another mouthful of apple juice, swallowed it down and collapsed into a fit of coughing. "What? I didn't –"

Brighid pointed to the mirror on the wall, the one whose twin hung in the tower of Shalott, where little Halflings were running from a black-clad wraith on a horse.

Cerridwen swore. "I didn't. I mean – he said he was just going to borrow it to revive his favorite horse. Please don't tell Morrigan."

Brighid raised her eyebrows. "What's in it for me?"

"Please please please –"

The front door banged open. Morrigan, wearing scale maille and battle greaves and carrying a shining sword, burst into the kitchen.

"Did you hear? The Middling Lands are going to war! Arawn has loosed a war machine with dark elves and all manner of evil creatures, and the dwarves and light elves and Halflings and even the mortals will be pitted against them. It's going to be glorious!" She pushed past Cerridwen, snatched her lunch box out of the fridge, and departed with a whoop.

Cerridwen and Brighid stared at the empty for a doorway for a long moment.

Then Cerridwen smirked at Brighid. "Ha! Fine! Tell Morrigan what I did." And she sashayed out of the room.

Brighid rolled her eyes. Morrigan was no help. So she yelled, "Mum! Guess what Cerridwen did!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.