Monday, March 23, 2009

Sudden Realization, Or: Seeking Technical Advice

I've come to the horrible realization that it's been years since I've written anything from a female's POV. If I do write from a female POV, chances are she's an outsider to the core conflict or relationship and so she doesn't have much emotional investment in what's going on. Aren't most romance novels written from the woman's POV because the main market is women? I started on a random plot bunny attempt today in T&E and realized that I'd written it entirely from the male protagonist's third person limited POV. Help!

Also, I thought it'd be nice to lay down some easy ground rules: try to think of a title for a post: it need not be witty. But something to alert readers. Try to use what tags we already have, but if we don't have one that you need, go ahead and create another - we're all admins that way.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

The only thing to do is start slow and simple. Sit down in a crowded place and just write from the supposed perspective of the first woman you see. Use cues in her dress, facial features, hair style and gait to make up plausible truths about her. Use both first and third narrative forms at first regardless if you only intend to use one.
The first person point of you will allow you to get into the characters head and out of you're own and third person perspectives add a bit of spice and detail, or at the very least allow more for interaction from the characters surroundings.

Nagi said...

Hmmmm. Thanks. I like it! I can totally try that out at school tomorrow.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.