Sunday, October 25, 2009

Attempted Pyrokinetic Murder

Okay, so the title is obviously a work in progress. Who else knows what will happen.

Incidentally, the story starts here.

It continues below, or above, depending on whether or not you know where to click.



James was a simple creature, and he liked life best when it was sunny and uncomplicated. He'd never admit it to his mates, but he'd always imagined that his first real gander at love would've been...simple: an exchange of smiles across a room at party; a long, surprisingly engaging conversation. They'd exchange phone numbers, and then there'd be dates and long phone calls, and one day there'd be no more dates, there'd be living in each other's lives. After that, the only answer would be marriage...or moving on.

James hadn't expected the object of his affection to be co-opted by his co-star. Everyone on set loved Riley, so maybe James shouldn't have been surprised that Asia fell in with the rest, but people loved Riley because he was adorably shy and polite, and Asia the super stunt-girl should hardly have been attracted to such...puppyish sweetness.

During sword training Asia was polite and helpful, encouraging even, and James had to summon all his acting skills so as not to blush whenever Asia curled her hand around his to correct his grip. It took every ounce of his will not to lean close and breathe in the scent of her whenever she put a hand on his hip to correct his posture. Outside of the training shed, Asia's acknowledgment of him was perfunctory at best. She always seemed too busy to do more than nod and make brief eye-contact before hurrying on to do whatever it was that anyone needed her to do. Because, of course, she wasn't just the stunt coordinator - she also handled armor and weapons and a host of other things that required her to hover around James almost as much as his AD without ever really acknowledging him.

It was only a month into shooting, and James was convinced that someone higher up the ladder was conspiring with the fates to taunt him with Asia's presence as much as possible so as to drive him insane - or maybe just test his acting mettle. Lunch was his only reprieve. He could slump alone in a corner of the catering tent and eat slowly, pretend that he wasn't scanning the face of ever passer-by and hoping it was hers.

Until the day when it was hers and she was laughing, face alight with joy, and goodness gracious she was beautiful in an uncanny, unexpected way - and she was laughing at something Riley had said.

James's chest tightened. He watched, gaze hawk-like, as Asia and Riley drifted through the catering line together, got matching salads and drinks, chattering all the while. They sat down at the other end of the table. Fiona amd Serena, who were usually thick as thieves with Riley, didn't join him. They sat with James instead. That was a bad sign. A horrible sign. A boy and a girl only got deliberately left alone like that when their friends were hoping they'd hit it off or something equally rom-com horrid.

Serena glanced down at the happily chatting couple. "I'm surprised you're not with them, Fi."

Fiona shrugged. "Unlike Riley, my Irish is terrible. I'd never keep up."

"What Irish?" James asked distractedly, watching how Asia and Riley spoke, heads bent close.

"Asia speaks Irish, so Riley's getting his daily dose of home during lunch," Serena explained.

"Oh." James swallowed and focused his attention more closely on his lunch companions. "I thought Asia was American."

Serena snickered softly; Bradley rolled his eyes.

"Apparently one of her adopted brothers is from Northern Ireland, so she speaks Irish," Fiona said. "She's terribly fascinating."

James agreed, though for entirely different reasons than Serena might.

"She's quite fun to talk to when she's not bossing the stunt boys around," Serena said. "You should talk to her sometime. I think you'd like her."

James would've given he wasn't sure what - something extreme, definitely - if she's say something to him beyond Guard up!

"What makes you think I don't like her?" he asked.

Fiona made an indelicate sound rather like a snort, but she was too pretty to snort. "You barely speak to her, you hardly look at her, and when you do, you seem to be putting every effort into pyrokinetically murdering her."

3 comments:

Nagi said...

Aha. So this is a little full of rushing. I think I can turn this into something real if I just...stop...rushing. Seriously. Who knows what will come of it.

Anonymous said...

I like it. I like it lots.

Nagi said...

I really, really need to fix this. We shall see how it goes. I have plans for Asia and James, don't get me wrong. I just...yeah.

Crazy plans for them.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.